Heating system installed through the support of the Brampton and Area Community Foundation and the Caledon Heritage Foundation.
The Melville White Church (MWC) is the oldest standing church in the Town of Caledon and one of the oldest in Ontario. It represents the communal efforts of the Rockside Pioneers predominately from Scotland who settled in the area in the early 1800s. Built by the McMillan brothers of Erin, the church was painted white upon completion and quickly became known as the White Church. The origin of the name Melville is thought to be a tribute to Andrew Melville, an early follower of John Wesley the founder of the Presbyterian Church in Scotland in the 17th century.
Its principal features include hand-hewn squared timber framing clad with horizontal wood siding, simple clean lines, and an upper loft in the interior.
After its centennial in 1937 the church's membership declined, eventually closing in 1964. Vacant and out of use for almost 30 years, except for the occasional wedding, the timber frame structure was under threat of demolition until the residents of Belfountain rallied to save this iconic landmark.
Denis Heroux, a professional member of the Advisory Board of the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario, considers the Melville (White) Church: "A valuable cultural resource, eminently worthy of restoration, to ensure that Ontario's dwindling stock of heritage buildings preserved."
The church is available for daily rental from the Belfountain Heritage Society which is responsible for its on-going maintenance and management. In the past the lack of a heating system has restricted its usage to summer and early fall, thereby limiting its sustainability and making it difficult to raise the revenues required to restore and maintain the building.
With a new heating system installed this heritage designated building will be able to host art exhibits, theatre, concerts, presentations and meetings in addition to the occasional baptism or wedding ceremony, year-round, thus ensuring its future for visitors and the community to enjoy.
We are delighted to announce that the following heating system elements are now installed and operational under Electrical Safety Authority inspection permit# 14002474.
The supply and installation of 10,000 watt commercial style wall hung unit heater on the front wall of the church in the loft area by the main service panel.
The supply and installation of four dedicated 20 amp receptacles in the four corners of the building. These can be used with temporary heaters plugged into them to a maximum of 1800 watts per outlet. This will provide 6 to 7.2KW of heat.
The supply of three infrared portable unit heaters in the outdoor washrooms, provide a 300 watt baseboard heater complete with unit mounted thermostat in each side.
The Caledon Heritage Foundation gratefully acknowledges the financial support of the Brampton and Area Community Foundation, a public not-for-profit community foundation serving the people of Brampton and area.
For more information visit: www.belfountainheritage.com.