Photo courtesy of Shutterstock
Share your story about Life in Caledon in Drawings, Photos, Oral Histories, Ancestral Roots here and abroad, Memories, Lore, Letters, Prose - all submissions considered for publication on our online museum
and archive, Vintage Caledon.
Vintage Caledon is a virtual museum and archive of the architecture, landscapes, people, ancestral roots here and abroad, and stories and lore of Caledon, Ontario, Canada and MeetUps and Popups posted and hosted by Caledon Heritage Foundation and our Heritage Partners
CHF is pleased to provide the outdoor large event tent for the St. Andrew's Stone Church Scottish Afternoon on June 22, 2013 beginning at Noon. A great event is planned by the Friends of St. Andrew's.
CHF IS PLEASED TO BE INVOLVED IN THE RE-LOCATION OF THE CALEDON EAST ORANGE LODGE.
The Orange Lodge has been dismantled and is awaiting re-construction near the Town Hall in Caledon East.
Below are some pictures which were taken during demolition.
Kerr Log House circa 1840
The Kerr Log House has been dismantled from its site of origin on and is in storage awaiting its reconstruction and new life at at Albion Hills Community Farm as a place for learning. This is a project that requires the cooperation of Town of Caledon, Caledon Heritage Foundation, Albion Hills Community Farm, and Toronto Region Conservation Authority.
A Brief Summary
News about the Melville White Church 2013
Heating system installed through the support of the Brampton and Area Community Foundation and the Caledon Heritage Foundation.
The Melville White Church (MWC) is the oldest standing church in the Town of Caledon and one of the oldest in Ontario. It represents the communal efforts of the Rockside Pioneers predominately from Scotland who settled in the area in the early 1800s. Built by the McMillan brothers of Erin, the church was painted white upon completion and quickly became known as the White Church. The origin of the name Melville is thought to be a tribute to Andrew Melville, an early follower of John Wesley the founder of the Presbyterian Church in Scotland in the 17th century.
Its principal features include hand-hewn squared timber framing clad with horizontal wood siding, simple clean lines, and an upper loft in the interior.
After its centennial in 1937 the church's membership declined, eventually closing in 1964. Vacant and out of use for almost 30 years, except for the occasional wedding, the timber frame structure was under threat of demolition until the residents of Belfountain rallied to save this iconic landmark.
Denis Heroux, a professional member of the Advisory Board of the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario, considers the Melville (White) Church: "A valuable cultural resource, eminently worthy of restoration, to ensure that Ontario's dwindling stock of heritage buildings preserved."
The church is available for daily rental from the Belfountain Heritage Society which is responsible for its on-going maintenance and management. In the past the lack of a heating system has restricted its usage to summer and early fall, thereby limiting its sustainability and making it difficult to raise the revenues required to restore and maintain the building.
With a new heating system installed this heritage designated building will be able to host art exhibits, theatre, concerts, presentations and meetings in addition to the occasional baptism or wedding ceremony, year-round, thus ensuring its future for visitors and the community to enjoy.
We are delighted to announce that the following heating system elements are now installed and operational under Electrical Safety Authority inspection permit# 14002474.
The supply and installation of 10,000 watt commercial style wall hung unit heater on the front wall of the church in the loft area by the main service panel.
The supply and installation of four dedicated 20 amp receptacles in the four corners of the building. These can be used with temporary heaters plugged into them to a maximum of 1800 watts per outlet. This will provide 6 to 7.2KW of heat.
The supply of three infrared portable unit heaters in the outdoor washrooms, provide a 300 watt baseboard heater complete with unit mounted thermostat in each side.
The Caledon Heritage Foundation gratefully acknowledges the financial support of the Brampton and Area Community Foundation, a public not-for-profit community foundation serving the people of Brampton and area.
For more information visit: www.belfountainheritage.com.
Caledon Heritage Foundation
An Art Show Celebrating the Beauty and Importance of Our Historic Barns
September 12 and 13, 2009, 11am-5pm
2009 Barn Awards
CALEDON HERITAGE FOUNDATION BARN AWARDS 2009
The old barns of Caledon, an important part of our rural landscape, are often taken for granted and, unfortunately, a number are being lost because of this.
In 2009 the focus of the CALEDON HERITAGE FOUNDATION was the celebration and preservation of our historic barns. CHF presented Awards of $500 to owners of outstanding barns in the following categories:
Earliest Timber Frame Barns
The construction of barns was often commemorated with the year being carved into date stones in their foundations or cut out in the gable-end peaks. This CHF Award will be presented to the Caledon barn with the earliest date inscribed in either the foundation or gable-end peak.
The CHF 2009 Barn Award in this category was presented to Robert and Barbara Downey.
The farm on Mount Hope Road was settled in 1831 by William Downey of Yorkshire, England.
Robert Downey is the fifth generation of the Downey family on this property. The barn is a beautifully maintained timber-frame barn with the date 1880 cut out in the gable-end peak. This is the newer half of the barn and both parts of the barn are still in use.
Other nominations in this category were dated 1885 and 1886.
Rare Architectural Elements in Historic Barns
Many barns still entail interesting original elements, such as extraordinarily long timbers, unusual swing beams, unusual ventilators, hand-carved details, exceptionally tall hay ladders, odd hex signs, and cobblestone or flagstone floors. The barn with the most unusual architectural feature will win the CHF Award in this category.
CHF 2009 Barn Award in this category was presented to Eileen Cook and Helen and John Mason.
The committee decided on a tie between Eileen Cook's barn on Chingacousy Road, and Helen and John Mason's barn complex on Heart Lake Road.
The Cook barn, which is still in use, has a exceptionally fine swing beam and an unusual hay winch.
The Mason three-barn complex is now a rarity in Caledon. The large central barn has a flagstone floor with a drainage channel. The barns also feature gable-end cut-outs of double hearts and celtic crosses. The over all high quality of craftsmanship in both the Cook and Mason barns deserves recognition.
A virtual museum and archive of the architecture,
landscapes, people, ancestral roots here and abroad, and stories and lore of
Caledon, Ontario, Canada and MeetUps and PopUps posted and hosted by Caledon Heritage Foundation and our Heritage Partners
Archival information also available at: